*Guys. Obviously drink responsibly. Or, don’t drink at all. You do you!
- 2 oz Blended whisky
- 3/4 oz Fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 oz Honey-Ginger syrup
- 1 3/4 oz Islay Single Malt Scotch (like Laphroig)
- Add blended scotch, lemon juice and syrup into shaker with ice. Shake and pour over fresh ice. Top with Islay scotch.
I didn’t even have to re-christen this one. Created in 2005 by bartender Sam Ross, the Penicillin starts off with the peaty brine of the Islay scotch but then settles into something smooth and spicy sweet. Readers will recall Claire’s multiple-book-spanning attempt to grow her own Penicillin. *cough* Exciting stuff.
Drinking Game: Take a drink every time Claire is surrounded by drying herbs, making a poultice, or attempting to home-grow antibiotics to fight off those 18th century gerrrrrmmmms.
Sex on the Ridge
- 2 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Peach Schnapps
- 2 oz Grapefruit or orange juice
- 2 oz Cranberry juice
- Throw everything in a glass with ice and stir.
“Sex on the Beach” originally, of course. Although I think the beach is the one location at which Jamie and Claire don’t have sex in Drums of Autumn.
Drinking Game: Take a drink every time a couple has sex outside. Or in a shed. Or while injured. Because all those things will definitely happen. Frequently. That’s a very guaranteed buzz right there.
- 1 oz Jameson Irish whiskey
- 1 oz Ginger ale
- 2 oz Cranberry juice
- Add all ingredients to shaker with ice and shake until chilled, about 30 seconds, and strain over ice.
Get it?? Jameson whiskey + cranberry = Red Jamie?? I’m pretty proud of that one. And this little cocktail is insanely drinkable, even if you’re not a whiskey fan. You could be seeing multiple Jamies by the end if you’re not careful. Been there, y’all.
Drinking Game: Take a drink every time you wistfully remember that one time when Jamie’s hair was perfect:
- 1 1/2 oz Bourbon or rye whiskey
- 2 Dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 Sugar cube
- 2 Dashes water
- Place sugar cube in glass and saturate with bitters and a dash of water. Muddle until dissolved. Add ice and whiskey.
Another drink I didn’t bother renaming, because it’s already perfect for a show about going back in time.
Drinking Game: Take a drink every time Jamie reminds us that, for all his usual perfectness, he is very much a man with 18th Century sensibilities. Particularly when it comes to his daughter and her sex life.
- 1 1/2 oz Vodka
- 1/2 oz Lime juice
- 4 oz Ginger beer
- Squeeze a slice of lime into a copper mug and drop in the shell. Add 2-3 ice cubes, vodka, and then fill with ginger beer (not the same as ginger ale, FYI).
AKA a Moscow Mule. This one’s for you, Clarence! You’re not as cool as Rollo but you had the luck of having an existing cocktail already named after your species.
Drinking Game: Take a drink every time a beloved animal character shows up. Even that pernicious White Sow. Take two drinks if they’re the best actor in any given scene.
Lord Gin Gray
- 1 oz Gin
- 1/2 oz Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 oz Simple syrup
- 3 oz Champagne
- Add Gin, lemon juice, and syrup into shaker with ice and shake well. Strain into chilled champagne flute and top off with champagne. Garnish with lemon twist (if you’re fancy).
Actually called a French 75, which means ???? Forget that. This drink drips sophistication, integrity, and impeccable English syntax, just like our favorite British gay-ristocrat, who keeps showing up to make Claire jealous and endear himself to us even more.
Drinking Game: Take a drink every time you see that beautiful, fine-boned face, with those dreamy blue eyes, look at Jamie with a bittersweet combination of adoration and heartbreak. And then take another one and whisper “you deserve better, Lord John“.