That’s not what I think.
The other day, after meeting our financial advisor, my boyfriend and I were starving. It was normal people dinner time (6ish) which is way early for us, but we were in Center City (Philadelphia). So we thought we’d take advantage of the location and have a nice dinner out. (Actually, we’ve been trying to move the last month so who am I kidding? We’ve eaten out or ordered in every night for the last 3 weeks.) While still up on the 19th floor of the building, we saw a crack of lightening, and we realized it was pouring out. And I Mean POURING– phones lit up with alerts of a flood watch, streets filled with water an inch above my ankles in the crosswalks POURING.
But we had no choice but to walk in it. We were hungry. And the restaurant was a block and one-half away.
By the time we got there we were soaked the bone. I was in heels and had to walk slow to keep from slipping. My feet were covered in black street water/soot. My dress was soaked through save for the spot under my soaked laptop bag which kept me dry. My Boyfriend’s shirt was stuck tight to his skin like he was the plumber fixing a leaking faucet in some low budget, but really hot porn. We were freezing.
And so I ordered grilled cheese and tomato soup on a hot, rainy August night with a side of mashed potatoes. My comfort food.
Those foods are probably on a lot of people’s lists of comfort food. But those are the most normal foods on my list. So this rainy meal inspired me to write the menu of the world’s best restaurant: Bekah’s Comfort Foods.
It looks a little something like this:
Bekah’s Comfort Food Appetizers:
- Cold Shrimp and cocktail sauce. The cocktail sauce would be so spicy your nostrils would clear after one bite.
- Saltine Crackers with an optional side of cracker barrel cheese
- A fresh, juicy August tomato with sea salt sprinkled on top. Optional add on: Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- Cornbread from Boston Market (it’s delicious in my dreams.)
Bekah’s Comfort Food Entrees:
- Grilled cheese. But not with the fancy cheese. With white bread and white American cheese (optional tomato).
- Bow Tie Pasta sautéed with garlic, fresh mozzarella and cherry tomatoes.
- Mashed Potatoes and Green Peas. Mixed Together. A Double Serving so you don’t have to ask for more.
- Sliced Cucumbers sprinkled with Feta Cheese over fried, spicy chick peas.
Bekah’s Comfort Food Desserts
- Hummus and Za’tar laffa from Zahav, the best restaurant in Philadelphia
- Toll House Cookie Dough balls made from scratch, slightly cold, served on a wooden spoon, just like your mom handed you when you were 4.
- Homemade, stove popped Popcorn
Bekah’s Comfort Food Drink List
- Sonoma County Pinot Noir, unless I’m in a French Wine phase, which I’m probably not.
- Pour over Coffee, served black
- Sparkling Water. Flat is not acceptable.
Welcome to my Comfort Food restaurant. Would you like to make a reservation?
(PS if you haven’t made buttery mashed potatoes and paired them with steamed green peas, you’re not living)