Spoilers for anyone who hasn’t read the book.
- Everything begins with Finnick and Annie’s wedding. What a nice way to start, it’s not like everything is going to go downhill from there or anything. Finnick and Annie are going to be fine and live in their true love bliss forever! *crazy laughter that morphs into denial tears*
- After her a brief interlude of monochromatic jumpsuits in Mockingjay Part 1, Effie is back to looking “Effie-ish,” here. Insane hair, outlandish clothing, and pulling the focus of every shot she’s in.
- Bonus shot of Johanna behind Effie in the far left of this screenshot. I’ll be glad to have her back after her almost total absence in the last movie.
- Can we all just bask in the glory of the shot of Katniss striding down that huge open area and cocking her arrow to kill Snow? That is exactly the kind of stride I would like to have if I were on my way to slay a fascist dictator.
- Gwendoline Christie will play Commander Lyme, former Hunger Games victor and a leader of the rebellion in Distrct 2. I don’t watch Game of Thrones so I’m not that familiar with Gwendoline, but I know that she’s very, very tall. Share the wealth why don’t you? I could use some of that height.
- Katniss hugs Prim and there is nonstop pain.
- While I enjoy the hug that Peeta and Katniss share, I don’t enjoy that this is the only real shot we get of Peeta in the trailer. Considering that the last we saw of our darling baker boy in Mockingjay Part 1 was him strangling Katniss almost to death and thrashing around strapped to a bed, I would have thought we’d get a bit more. I know that many, many people have read the books at this point, but a movie should be able to stand on its own and for the trailer to show Peeta looking seemingly “fine” after he was in such a bad place at the end of the last movie is a bit iffy for me.
- Squad 451 infiltrates the Capitol, and the resulting “attacks” to try and fend them off are freaking terrifying. This entire sequence is going to be intense as hell.
- We all know how it’s going to culminate. This screenshot might be the hovercraft about to go drop the bomb that kills Prim…really look at it and let it sink in and have your entire day be ruined.Source
- One of my favorite scenes in the book is when Katniss and Snow talk in the President’s Mansion after Snow is captured but before he’s killed, and my guess just from the one line we get from that scene is that Donald Sutherland is going to nail it as always. His line “Make no mistake. The game isn’t over” is a sentiment clearly shared by Finnick, who gets the last line of the trailer:
I don’t know if it’s because this is a trailer for the last movie and I’m bummed about it, but there seemed to be a teeny something missing in this trailer for me. I was excited about everything that I saw, but this one didn’t give me chills in the way some of the previous trailers have. I know from the few minutes that I’ve browsed Tumblr today that this is not a universally shared opinion, so some of you may not agree with me on that. Maybe it’ll grow on me with time. Regardless, I’m both completely dreading November because I don’t want the movies to be over, as well as being incredibly impatient for it because I can’t wait to see this movie.
What were your favorite moments from the trailer?