Even thought Los Angeles decided to re-welcome summer with 90 degree weather this week, I’m planning to wears all the jackets and drink hot drinks and think about all the awesome movies we’re about to see!
We’re all basic betches at heart who never met a Pumpkin Spice Latte we didn’t like, but there are so many other amazing fall flavors that make their appearance around this time and aren’t usually available at a Starbucks (sorry to your Gold Card Star count!) let’s think about how yummy these are and how spring WISHES it had these.
- Apple Cider – Hot, as a doughnut (!!!), a spiked drink, a lollypop, WHATEVER it is, I’m all for Apple Cider whatever.
- Cranberry – Cranberry is one of my favorite year around flavors, why people don’t like it, I’ll never understand. I love the sourness, the color and how it makes EVERYTHING it’s with better. You might even find a few bags in my freezer because I stock up for the rest of the year!
- Squashes – roast them, puree them, stew them, squashes are the best!
- Ginger – in moderation (large amounts taste like soap to me), ginger is a great accent to sweet and savory foods!
- Pomegranate – Guys, promise me you will buy a few of these whole, cut a small section off the top and then take each and every seed out by hand. Welcome to one of my favorite zen evening activities.
- Pear – there’s an entire holiday song revolving around a Pear Tree, so eat up!
- Spices! Cinnamon! Clove, Allspice! Nutmeg! – Put the spices in all of the things!
- MAPLE! If you haven’t been using real maple syrup to sweeten, now’s the time PLUS maple anything gives you those instant fall vibes – you can either be my grandpa and you get the Maple Bar at the doughnut shop or get fancy and make a maple creme brule, I’m HERE FOR ALL OF IT.
Halloween Candy Selection
Besides being a brilliant artist, my boyfriend’s one true calling and talent is: candy connoisseur. He specializes in chocolate but his other favorite medium is holiday themed candy. I can tell you we’ve been looking at Target for the Halloween candy since August… just waiting and waiting and finally (after asking an employee), the day came! I’m happy to report there are tons of new options to try.
From BRUNCH themed Candy Corn
Oh MAPLE YOU SAY?!?!?
to these Halloween themed Chocolate bars I picked up on a recent trip to Seattle, Halloween / Holiday themed candy is in full swing and the BF is HERE FOR IT to overuse that saying in this post.
JACKETS!!!!! That’s all I have to say. I’ve already bought two, a bomber and an anorak and it’s in the 90s here this week. COOL OFF LA!! I need to wear these jackets!
So like, EVERYONE is talking about This is Us, from our TN feed to all my friends, this is the show of the fall, especially if you were a Parenthood fan which means I may have to dip out, I can’t do that constant drama/earnestness of that show. Cue me writing about the show in a month. Let’s agree to make fun of this moment when that happens.
Fall Movies are arguably the best because studios place all their Awards Season bait in October through December. This means that every trip to the movies during the fall will help you fill out at Oscar ballot come February.
Some of the flicks I’m most looking forward to this fall: Rogue One (duh!), Miss Peregrine’s, Girl on the Train, Fantastic Beasts, Moana, Dr Strange, Snowden, Bridget Jones’s Baby, Queen of Katwe, The Light Between Oceans, La La Land. So like… everything!
Apple Picking / Leaves Changing Trips
One of my favorite Fall Los Angeles activity is LEAVING LA and driving northwest to Oak Glenn and going to Snow-Line Orchard and Riley’s Farm. At Snow-line we essentially spent a hundred bucks on mini apple cider doughnuts (!!!), bags of apples, gallons or cider and spend time sipping in the newly opened tasting room sampling their wines. A few minutes away from Snow-line is Riley’s Farm where we attend a dinner theater show of Sleepy Hollow. Which is essentially high school students using hackney accents but there is a HEADLESS HORSEMAN who rides a real horse. It’s pretty great fall fun.
A video posted by itshowtimenikki (@itshowtimenikki) on
It’s time to unpack the sweaters and pick the apples, it’s FALLLLL! And I’m so excited!
What are your favorite Fall activities? Any favorite Halloween candy I should know about?