*I will be discussing this latest trailer assuming that you have read the books and know what’s going to happen. So, if you haven’t and don’t want to know, turn back now.*A new trailer for Mockingjay Part 2 was released yesterday and if you’ve seen it you may have noticed that this one is different! So bright and colorful! So many hilarious jokes! And the fun pop song in the background! HAHAHA JUST KIDDING THIS MOVIE IS GOING TO BE TWO HOURS OF PAIN THAT DESTROYS US ALL.
There’s some overlapping footage from the last trailer, like Katniss saying that Snow needs to pay for what he’s done, the Finnick/Annie wedding, and the creepy, sludgy oil trap thing in the Capitol. There is also a ton of new stuff to look at, and some of it is cut together in pretty short shots, but I am undaunted. I will freak out about all of it.
- President Snow starts us off again by giving another creepy speech to Katniss about games. Donald Sutherland has such a deliciously creepy voice, so much so that I don’t trust those orange juice commercials he does. DO NOT DRINK THAT BEVERAGE. IT IS CLEARLY SINISTER. For me, the scenes of Snow in the movies that didn’t exist in the books have been amazing additions. A hero can only really be impressive if they’ve defeated a truly scary villain, and President Snow has been damn scary.
- Paylor looks crazy awesome, and it’s no surprise that she ends up being the new President after Kaniss cleans house by offing both Snow and Coin. But as inspiring as her speech is, look at all the traps that the Capitol has set… They couldn’t squeeze a few more in there? I think I see a few blank spots free of horrifying danger. Slackers.
- Peeta tells Katniss that if she’s successful in her quest to kill Snow that everyone’s death will mean something, and you will never ever hear me complain about Peeta contend. I will add the caveat that I still find it slightly odd that at the end of Part 1 the big question was whether or not Peeta was going to be okay, and everything we’ve seen of him in the trailer so far seems to answer that question before the movie is even released. But on the other hand there’s going to be so much other stuff going on in this movie that I get why they did it. We do get this shot of Peeta shackled in the water, so his issues are definitely going to be explored.
- The lizard mutts are so much more terrifying than I imagined them. Those things are going to be responsible for taking Finnick Odair from this world?! NO. Ugh, they’re so disgusting I actually made a weird face when I saw them.
- Also nightmare inducing: this meat grinder floor thing
- It’s awful that people are actually reaching up at the parachutes that are about to kill them like they’re a good thing. They’re used to seeing them in the Games, when a parachute means food, medicine, or something else to help.
- Johanna’s back and looking as bitchtastic as always!
- Cry kissing 5ever
- The Capitol surgeons clearly do not play. When someone goes to them and says they want to look just like a tiger, they make you look exactly like a human version of a tiger. I also love that anyone who hasn’t read the books must be absolutely baffled by this shot.
In my analysis of the last trailer I said that I felt like it was missing a little something, that it didn’t really give me chills. Well this trailer most definitely gave me chills. I’m going to miss these movies so much, and I’m crushed that everything is going to be all over in November. It does look like Mockingjay Part 2 is going to send the franchise out with a bang, so that’s some consolation. Are you getting excited/crying already?!
Mockingjay Part 2 is out November 20th.