Sometimes, when in a relationship, you have to make certain choices or sacrifices for the sake of the relationship. When I moved in with my ex, I decided to let the Winchester brothers go, Supernatural was cut from my life. Now, years wiser, I recognize that was one of major signs that the relationship was doomed to fail. NEVER GIVE UP ON THE WINCHESTERS, even when you realize there is no possible way to watch all the shows saved on the DVR and that you get throbbing headaches from too much TV. Don’t let them go.
A few months ago, still feeling a hole in my heart from the lack of Sam and Dean, I discovered all of the seasons on Netflix. I really had no concept of what I was missing in my life. Not only was I missing Sam and Dean on a weekly basis, I missed great fan panels at Comic Con or those captured on the internet. I was so late to this party:
Now that I am all caught up, I don’t want any of you out there to miss out on this fantastic show and the quirky (that was the best description I could manage) fandom.
TN’s Guide to Supernatural
- Meet the Winchesters. Supernatural follows the Winchester brothers who are hunters of all sorts of things that go bump in the night. They make snarky comments, play practical jokes on each other, and save the world. Did I mention they are hot? Not in a metro way, in a MANLY MAN kind of way.
- Watch with all the lights on. The first season is actually scary and sometimes gory. Lights can be substituted for a TV buddy, but you are warned not to go without either.
- Do not watch too close to bedtime. You may have nightmares about demons coming after you. And even though you can fly in your dreams, you don’t fly well and no matter how hard you flap your arms, takeoffs are a bitch.
- You will fall in love, perhaps with both brothers and spend hours contemplating which you would choose if you had to. This also makes a great dinner party topic with your girlfriends.
- Other men will seem short. Both lead actors are over 6 foot tall. Yes, you read that correctly and no, this isn’t in “hollywood” height (where actors claim they are on average 3 inches taller than they really are). Jared is so tall, that it becomes a running gag on the show.
- Be prepared for major slash and I’m not referring to blood or gore. What I’m trying to say is that the major ‘shipping in this fandom is Dean and Sam (I’m guessing most of the fan fiction is AU and they aren’t brothers…ew)
- Beware of the NSFW tumblr searches. (see above)
- In on the joke. The writers of the show are well aware of all the fan fiction and shipping and somehow works it into the show. It sounds ridiculous, but it works. As a fan, you feel like you’re in on the big joke, especially if you have ever gone tumblr diving on the Supernatural search term.
- Where have I seen them before? Jensen Ackles was on Days of Our Lives and Jared Padalecki was on Gilmore Girls. The combination of them both makes me giddy.
- Don’t skip episodes. Sometimes I can get so caught up with the mythology that plays out season to season, I will want to skip episodes when the Netflix brief description does not seem like it’s moving the plot along. Don’t do it, you miss out on hilarious one-liners and possibly mythology hints for future episodes. Trust. OR maybe you should skip some, so that when you are all caught up, you have little treats to go back and watch. It’s just like when you put your gum behind your ear for later.
- Castiel. [Spoiler]…………………..(seriously, I am warning you) This Angel with a connection to Sam and Dean has some of the best deadpan lines. Oh, and the fandom eventually ships Castiel and Dean. Don’t say I didn’t warn you about those tumblr searches. No amounts of brain bleach can save you from some of the manips.
- Buffy Lives on. Well, no, not through the show, but many actors from Buffy have guest starred here and there. Be prepared for a Cordy-Spike Episode. You’re welcome.
- Carry On My Wayward Son. Classic rock lives on and becomes a Supernatural Anthem.
- Fan Art. Makes all the Twilight Fan Art look slightly sane. Enjoy. (Some of it is actually really good…)
Supernatural is on the CW on Wednesdays at 9/8c.
Are you watching Supernatural? Which brother would you choose (IF FORCED IN A LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION)? What other tips would you include for watching?